What is the Meaning of Life?

Poetry that I wrote back in high school. Nothing major. I just haven't written any poetry in awhile, well, unless you count the sarcastic stuff that I can't show to anyone.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States

Just for the record, my opinions, hopes, dreams, etc., are just that. They have absolutely no reflection on my employer. Not that I'm going to tell you who that is... I am the (self proclaimed) Queen of the Universe. Join my cadre of loyal subjects and all will be well in your world. My mantra is "Embrace Chaos. Adore Chaos. Give Chaos a big kiss on the mouth." NEW mantra this week - "No one ever suspects the socks." Email me at greenduckiesgirl(at)comcast(dot)net

Tuesday, June 08, 2004

Ode to a Bottle of Bacardi Rum

Oh, instrument of my approaching doom,
how you do shine at me.
Are you trying to lure me into a fishnet of folly,
as you did to father and brother before me?
Please go away,
for tonight I am trying to be strong
and resist the temptation of your siren call.
I have listened to your love song before,
believed you when you showed me the mock-pleasure of your depths,
but, oh, how I regretted following you in the morning.
Please go away (or at least be quiet), I beg
for if I let you deceive me again,
I will wake to find that
a fisherman's nag of a wife
has used my brain as a battlefield.
She adores throwing her best crockery at her hen-pecked husband
and running after him, swinging a sledgehammer,
leaving my brain a shattered mess she sweeps up
and under a blanket of confusion.
Oh, instrument of my approaching doom,
how you do shine at me.
I'm coming in.
I think the water will be fine.
At least until the morning.

This was one of the Meaning Of Life poems. Two things about this poem - One, alcoholism is hereditary. Two, I'm a Pisces (fisherman's wife, siren call, are you noticing the symbolism?) and a book I once read on astrology stated that Pisces have a tendency to gravitate towards alcoholism, drug abuse and have difficulty finding long term relationships. A former friend's comment when reading that passage was "Huh. Looks like you're going to be a drunk slut." Nice, right? This is why she's a former friend. So, since alcoholism runs in my family and I can get depressed all on my own, I avoid alcohol. It took me a long time to realize I can have fun without involving liquor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home